What is a mouthguard?
Mouthguards, also known as sports guards or athletic mouth protectors, are custom-fitted or ready-made devices designed to protect the teeth, gums, and jaws from injuries during sports activities or other physical activities that could cause trauma to the mouth.
The benefits of using a mouthguard include:
- Protection: Mouthguards provide a cushion for your teeth and gums, protecting them from blows to the face, which can result in chipped or broken teeth, lacerations, and other serious injuries.
- Prevent tooth loss: Wearing a mouthguard can help prevent tooth loss by reducing the risk of teeth being knocked out or pushed back into the jaw.
- Reduce the risk of concussion: Studies have shown that mouthguards can help reduce the risk of concussion by absorbing and dispersing the force of impact.
- Improved performance: Mouthguards can help improve your performance by increasing your confidence and reducing your fear of injury.
- Comfort: A well-fitted mouthguard can be comfortable to wear and won’t interfere with breathing or speaking.
- Customizable: Custom-made mouthguards are available to fit your specific mouth shape and can provide optimal protection.
Overall, mouthguards are an effective way to protect your teeth, gums, and jaw from injuries during sports and other physical activities. They can also improve performance and provide comfort while wearing them.
What is a Nightguard?
Nightguards are devices worn while sleeping to prevent teeth from grinding and clenching. They are typically made of softer materials than mouthguards and are designed to cushion and protect the teeth from the forces of grinding and clenching, which can lead to tooth wear, jaw pain, and other problems.
- Protecting teeth: Nightguards are designed to cushion and protect the teeth from the intense pressure and friction caused by grinding and clenching. This can help prevent tooth wear, chipping, cracking, and even tooth loss.
- Reducing jaw pain: Grinding and clenching can put a lot of stress on the jaw muscles and joints, leading to pain and discomfort. Nightguards can help alleviate these symptoms by reducing the force and impact of the grinding and clenching.
- Improving sleep: Bruxism (grinding and clenching) can disrupt sleep patterns and cause insomnia, leading to daytime fatigue and irritability. By reducing the impact of bruxism, nightguards can improve the quality of sleep and help patients feel more rested and refreshed in the morning.
- Preventing headaches: Bruxism can also trigger headaches and migraines, especially if the grinding and clenching occur during sleep. Nightguards can help prevent these types of headaches by reducing the force and impact on the teeth and jaw muscles.
- Saving money: Nightguards are a cost-effective solution to protect your teeth from damage caused by grinding and clenching. They can help prevent expensive dental treatments such as crowns, bridges, and even dental implants, which may be required to repair damaged teeth.
Overall, nightguards are an effective and affordable way to protect your teeth and improve your overall oral health.
Schedule an appointment online or call the office at (661) 244-4036 to speak with a caring member of the administrative staff. Schedule an appointment and learn more about our Santa Clarita cosmetic dentistry today.
Cosmetic Dentistry Q & A
What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry uses oral prosthetics and other advanced treatment techniques to improve the aesthetic appearance of your gums, teeth, and smile. Cosmetic dentistry usually isn’t necessary to preserve your oral health, but it can help you feel more confident and self-assured.
What are some examples of cosmetic dentistry?
Skyline Smiles offers a variety of cosmetic dentistry services, including:
- Tooth-colored fillings: A dental filling treats minor damage caused by tooth decay. Skyline Smiles offers tooth-colored fillings made of composite resin. These fillings blend with your tooth enamel, ensuring no one knows you’ve had any work done.
- Veneers: If your teeth are unusually shaped, stained, or smaller than average, veneers can help. Veneers are custom-tailored pieces of ceramic or composite resin that your dentist bonds to the front of your permanent teeth. You can receive one or two veneers, but most people get six or eight to restore symmetry to their smiles.
- Crowns: Crowns are tooth-shaped coverings used to protect a severely damaged or decaying tooth. A crown covers the entire portion of your tooth enamel above the gum line. Once positioned, it restores your tooth to its near-original strength, size, and shape.
- Bridges: If you’re missing a single tooth, consider a dental bridge. Dental bridges are a restoration used to fill a space in your smile. There are several types of dental bridges, including traditional, Maryland, and cantilever bridges. Following an oral exam, Skyline Smiles can make a recommendation that aligns with your needs.
- Teeth whitening: If your teeth are yellow, stained, or discolored, teeth whitening can help turn back the clock. Skyline Smiles offers both in-office teeth whitening with Opalescence™ Boost™ and take-home whitening kits. Teeth whitening isn’t permanent, but it can brighten your smile for between four and six months. Regular touch-ups can extend your results even longer.
- Dental bonding: If you crack, chip, or fracture a tooth, dental bonding can prevent further damage. Bonding uses composite resin material to quickly and effectively address tooth damage. It matches your tooth enamel, ensuring your results look natural.
Will I benefit from cosmetic dentistry?
If you are unhappy with the physical appearance of your teeth, gums, or smile, cosmetic dentistry can help. Following a comprehensive oral exam, a discussion of your goals for treatment, and a review of your oral health history, Skyline Smiles can develop a custom care plan that helps you acquire a beautiful, white smile.
Important: While there may be some overlap in the design and materials used in mouthguards and nightguards, they serve different purposes and should not be used interchangeably.
If you participate in contact sports or other physical activities, it is important to wear a properly fitting mouthguard to protect your teeth and mouth.
If you grind or clench your teeth while sleeping, a nightguard can help protect your teeth and alleviate any associated discomfort.
Contact Us Today!
"*" indicates required fields
What is a Mouthguard?
Mouthguards are protective devices worn over the teeth to prevent injuries during contact sports or other physical activities. They are designed to absorb the impact of a blow to the mouth, reducing the risk of broken teeth, lacerations to the lips and tongue, and other oral injuries.
Mouthguards can help prevent a variety of dental injuries, including chipped or broken teeth, tooth loss, jaw fractures, and lacerations to the lips, tongue, and cheeks. They work by absorbing and redistributing the force of an impact to the mouth, reducing the risk of injury.
There are several types of mouthguards available, including pre-made, boil-and-bite, and custom-fitted mouthguards.
In addition to preventing dental injuries, mouthguards may also offer other health benefits. For example, they can reduce the risk of concussion by preventing the lower jaw from being forced into the skull during an impact. They can also help improve breathing and reduce snoring by positioning the jaw in a slightly forward position, which can help open up the airway.
It is important to properly care for your mouthguard to ensure it provides optimal protection and lasts as long as possible. This includes cleaning it regularly with soap and water or a mouthguard cleaning solution, storing it in a ventilated container, and replacing it when it becomes worn or damaged.